Sunday, November 17, 2013

Teaching Is...


Today I came across a blogpost called "The Hardest Job Everyone Thinks They Can Do" by Dennis Hong. Before I even read it, I knew it was about teaching. After I read it, I thought, this guy gets it. 
Considering I've spent this entire rainy Sunday in my sweatpants, still recovering from 2 weeks of conferences and report cards, I needed to read this today.
Teacher or not, I suggest you read the entire piece. These are the lines that really resonated with me:
"Teaching is understanding how the human brain processes information and preparing lessons with this understanding in mind.
Teaching is simultaneously instilling in a child the belief that she can accomplish anything she wants while admonishing her for producing shoddy work.
Teaching is offering a sympathetic ear while maintaining a stern voice.
Teaching is being both a role model and a mentor to someone who may have neither at home, and may not be looking for either.
You can’t measure inspiration by a child’s test scores. You can’t measure inspiration by a child’s grades. You measure inspiration 25 years later when that hot-shot doctor, or lawyer, or entrepreneur thanks her fourth-grade teacher for having faith in her and encouraging her to pursue her dreams."
Amen!
And don't even get me started on test scores. 
It's late, and I need to get to bed so that I can get up at 5:45 and get ready to inspire my students.


No comments:

Post a Comment