Monday, December 2, 2013

Elf on the Shelf?

Well it's December, otherwise known as the month that my Newsfeed is chock full of pictures of little elf dolls swimming in pools of marshmallows and making snow angels in flour. Oh, joy.

This morning my students came back from Thanksgiving break all abuzz about their elves. One asked me if we were going to have an elf in our classroom; I looked at her like she had 3 heads.

Elf on the Shelf? I just don't get it, you guys.

I know that many of you are thinking, "Just wait until you have kids of your own." Well, I hate to break it to you, but at this rate, we might be waiting forever. Furthermore, I'm not convinced that having a child of my own would help this situation.

First of all, the elf creeps me out. There, I said it. Also, the thing that really gets me is that this disturbing dude is supposed to be "watching" (yikes) the children to make sure they behave, but meanwhile he's wreaking havoc all over the house. Huh?

Thank goodness there was no elf on any shelf at our house when my siblings and I were little. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have slept a wink that month for fear that the elf would come in my room and murder me. My brother would have made it his mission to knock the elf down from whatever shelf on which he may have been perched. My sister would have constantly questioned the rest of us as to where the elf really came from and just how it got into our house. Sounds magical, doesn't it?

Bless those of you dedicated parents out there who have committed to the Elf on the Shelf tradition. I know your children love it, and that's why you do it.

But I also know that I'm going to rest easier this holiday season with shelves that are elf-free.

2 comments:

  1. I don't get the part about the elf messing things up either. Seems to defeat the purpose of watching the children to make sure they're good. I'm sure you guys didn't need an elf to scare you into being good, you had Clarko!!! Merry Christmas, Jackie. I enjoy your blog. Peace.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, Clarko! Thank you for reading and for your kind words. I hope you all have a great holiday!

      Delete