Saturday, November 5, 2011

'Sup Dog?

I hope everyone had a Happy Halloween! Instead of trick-or-treating I happened to spend the evening Christmas shopping-and no, I did not get my holidays confused. Seriously, it was the best night to go because NO ONE else was in the stores!


This next statement is going to sound silly since I just admitted I already started Christmas shopping, but...I can't believe it's already November. Do you know what this means? That I've been 30 for two whole months, that's what! Ridiculous.


But more importantly, it means Thanksgiving is right around the corner. I've noticed several Facebook friends have been updating their statuses with things they're thankful for each day. Well done, friends. I like it. Although I may not say it everyday, there are many many blessings I am thankful for in this life (sounds like a future blog post to me).


One of the blessings I speak of is none other than my nephdog, Pete. There are so many reasons that I'm thankful for this little pug, but the most important is that he taught me what it means to love a pet.


As a child I was seriously afraid of all animals, especially dogs. I never understood why someone would want a dog because to me all they did was shed, slobber, jump, bark, and bite. I shook my head when I saw my own friends get dogs and treat them like children. I really just didn't get it.


When my brother and sister-in-law told me that they were going to adopt a pug, needless to say I was less than thrilled. I was afraid that every time I went to their house I would have to have my guard up. When I first saw Pete's picture, I thought he was cute, but I still had anxiety about meeting him.



I look at that face now, and wonder how I could have ever been afraid of him. When I met Pete two Novembers ago, I was immediately relieved. He didn't jump on me the second I hit the door. He simply sniffed and moved on. He never barked, but merely stayed by my brother's side on the floor. 


Each time I spent with Pete, I got a little braver, a little more comfortable, and grew to like him a little more. By Christmas that year, I had overcome my fears and was actually asking when I could see him again. I really shocked my friends when I posted this picture from Christmas Day:



I'm not sure how it happened, but somewhere along the way, I fell in love with that little pug and now I can't imagine our family without him! I love how excited he gets when I come to the door, snorting and squealing. I love his enthusiasm for food, and how he thinks he's a person. I love his curly tail that lets you know he's happy, and I love that he knows when you need to snuggle. Mostly I love that he proved people can change; people meaning me. 


He loves to have his picture taken-just like his aunt Jackie!

Joey made us each our own Pete-inspired shirt for Christmas last year. Mine says "Pugs Not Drugs".

So cuddly!

Christmas at Grandma's last year; Pete loves Grandma Phyllie!

Prince Pete at his birthday party last November

 He wigged out with me on my 30th-such a good sport!

Like any good aunt should, I love to spoil him with gifts.

This goes without saying but I'm going to say it anyway: Peter Dartmouth is the coolest and cutest dog around (not that I'm biased or anything). I am so grateful that Micah and Kate adopted him from the Pug Rescue two years ago and I'm very thankful for the joy and enlightenment  he has brought to my life!

2 comments:

  1. AWWWW! Peter Dartmouth loves this post and so do I! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! I'm so glad he approved;) Did you read it aloud to Micah? Haha...

    ReplyDelete