Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thankful

I asked my 3rd graders this week to reflect on all the things they were thankful for in their lives. Among answers like 'video games' and 'Justin Beiber', they were able to come up with such things as 'shelter' and 'love'. Amid brainstorming their ideas, one of them asked me what I was thankful for. I naturally responded with 'family and friends', and pointed out a few others on their lists that I agreed with. Over the weekend I thought about all of the things I could have said to them, and I challenged myself to come up with at least 30. So in no particular order, here goes:
  1. Family: The older I get, the more I realize how rare our closeness is and I'm so grateful for it. 
  2. Friends: I feel so lucky to have close friends from grade school, high school, college, and my career.
  3. Shelter: I love my condo and feel so blessed to call it home.
  4. My health
  5. God
  6. My job: Each day is a new challenge, and no matter how difficult it may sometimes seem, at the end of the day I know it's what I'm called to do. 
  7. Music: It motivates me, calms me, and makes me happy.
  8. Laughter: I'm so grateful for the sense of humor I inherited from my dad and the positivity it affords me each day!
  9. My memory foam pillow
  10. My education
  11. My car
  12. My city: No matter where I travel, I am always so happy to return home to Louisville. 
  13. Sports: Whether I'm playing volleyball, cheering for UofL basketball & football, or watching St. Louis baseball, the happiness that sports bring me is immeasurable. 
  14. Books: I love to escape inside the pages of a good book-any recommendations for my next read? 
  15. Coke: I am so grateful when someone surprises me with a fountain Coke! Wink.
  16. Target: Is there a store that could make me happier? I think not.
  17. Dudes Named Jim: Jim Gaffigan, Jim Brickman, Jim Halpert, Jimmy Fallon-these are seriously some of my favorite men on the planet, and I don't think it's a coincidence that they all have the name Jim. Perhaps I'm destined to marry someone named Jim?!
  18. Photographs: I love how they make memories last forever...
  19. Carmel-filled chocolate: There is nothing more delicious than this combo.
  20. Rhythm: Like Gloria Estefan said it would, the rhythm got me, and at a young age at that. I dance when I do the dishes & laundry, when I'm driving my car, even when I'm just walking down the hall, and I couldn't be happier about it.
  21. Sunshine
  22. Water: One of my students said 'clean drinking water' the other day, to which I said, 'right on.'
  23. Flip Flops: If I could wear them everyday, I would.
  24. Ireland: I feel so blessed to have roots in such a beautiful and humble country, and I feel grateful for the trip I was able to take there so many years ago that helped make me the person I am today.
  25. Grandma Phyllie: I thank my lucky stars that at the age of 30, my grandma is still here and doing well. I love to hear her stories and learn all that she has to impart. I love that we share a love for Cardinal baseball and beautiful jewelry! 
  26. Pizza
  27. Bling: Sparkly jewelry, glitter, and sequins...if it blings, my heart sings.
  28. Elastic: Best invention ever?
  29. Swimming Pools
  30. My nephpug: See my previous blog post here
  31. The Internet: Let's face it, without the internet, you wouldn't be reading this right now, and what a shame that would be!
  32. Hot chocolate
  33. Thanksgiving: Best holiday there is!
Well look at that-I made it to 33 thankful things. I could probably think of many more, but if I'm going to properly celebrate this holiday then I better get some sleep. Happy Thanksgiving, y'all!
    "If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough." -Meister Eckhart















    No comments:

    Post a Comment