Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Madness Has Officially Commenced

Happy St. Patrick's Day, y'all!
The Louisville Cardinals & St. Patrick's Day: Two of my favorite things in this wide world, and the most important things about today, all wrapped up into one glorious article of clothing. I don't care how hot it gets today (the high is projected to be 79 degrees), I'm going to be wearing this sweatshirt, and wearing it with more pride than the Irish feel for their beloved patron saint, mind you. The Cards are scheduled to tip off at 9:40 p.m. and until then I will be soaking up all the Celtic celebration and NCAA Tournament action I can handle.

It's hard to imagine today's teams being able to top the magic we all witnessed yesterday. And by that I mean two 2-seeded teams losing to 15 seeds. Sorry, Duke and Missouri fans. But that. Was. Awesome! Thank you, Lehigh and Norfolk State for busting my bracket. No, I mean it. Who cares about the $5 I donated to my coworkers? It was worth every penny to experience the excitement that last night's games afforded. The Madness is officially upon us, people!

Speaking of madness, if you haven't seen the UPS commercial depicting the "logistics" it took for Grant Hill to pass the ball to Christian Laettner in the 1992 Duke victory over Kentucky, crawl out from the rock you've been living under and join the rest of us, please.
I'm sorry, UK fans-I know this moment is one that you would prefer to forget ever happened. I get it. Believe it or not, my 10 year-old self was cheering for your Wildcats in that East Region final game. I remember the shock that was written all over the faces of my family members watching along with me that night. It hurt. Real bad. I dislike Duke as much as you do, trust me.
But the backlash this commercial has caused the Big Blue Nation is laughable. I love to see people get fired up about things that, in the grand scheme of things, seriously do not matter. I haven't talked to anyone from UPS' marketing department or anything, but I'm pretty sure they did not intend to upset UK fans with their ad. Here's a little taste of the madness to which I eluded: 

Thanks to Card Chronicle for bringing these to my attention. To my friends that are UK fans, please try not to take this commercial (or blog post) personally. There are bigger fish to fry in this world. For you, today that fish is Iowa State. Like you, I hope the Wildcats pull off the victory, too. Let's face it: my bracket needs all the help it can get.

Yes, I'm giggling right now.

I could say that WVU, UConn, and Notre Dame have shamed the Big East, but I won't 'cause I don't really care. Syracuse, you and Marquette can go ahead and lose too if you want. I tasted the sweetness of upsets last night, and I'm hungry for more today. Go Murray State! Go on, VCU! Get it, Colorado!

But most importantly, GO CARDS (men and women)!

Be safe and have fun today, friends! Let the madness continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment