Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Tip Tuesday 5: Man Up!

I'm going to keep this short and sweet: you need to read Man Up! by Ross Mathews. The End.

Okay I lied. It's not the end. I love this book too much and therefore I must tell you more about it. 

Thanks to my friend and fellow pop culture aficionado, Jenny, for introducing this hilarious piece of literature to my life! 

Man Up! made an ordinarily boring 4-hour family road trip fly by--I seriously cannot recall the last time I laughed out loud that much when reading a book. It got to the point that when I would giggle to myself in the backseat, Mom would turn around to ask, "What's so funny?" and then she'd answer her own question with, "Oh, Ross."

If you are asking yourself, "Who is Ross?" then #1, I feel sorry for you, and #2, he is a correspondent for the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, a panelist on Chelsea Lately, an award show red carpet commentator for E!, and of course, an author.

I was so sad when I read the last page of his book because I didn't want it to be over. Aside from the facts that he had Jem sheets as a child, loves Justin Timberlake, which means I'm sure we could be best friends, Ross is a refreshingly honest and heartfelt (and hilarious) writer. 

Here are some of my favorite quotes from Man Up!:
"I was a 15-year old with stars in my eyes and zits on my chin!"
"I don't deal with tragedy well and I dealt with it that day the way I always do: by loading up on carbs."
"I can't wait to be an active senior citizen...I'm built for grandkids, early-bird specials, and a personalized golf cart."

The Man Up! blog says it best: Ross is as serious about this as he is about Golden Girls trivia: You don’t need to change who you are to achieve your dreams (although there’s nothing wrong with a makeover every now and then). You just need to Man Up!

Man Up! is definitely a book I will read it again and again. 
And you should too.

No comments:

Post a Comment