Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Tip Tuesday 6: Breakfast Bars, Naturally

Those of you who wake up in the morning, get ready (I'm talking take a shower, dry your hair, and put on make-up) and can also sit down and eat breakfast at HOME, you are my heroes. I never get up for work with enough time to do anything but grab something and scarf it down in the car.

Hence, I love the convenience of granola bars. What I do not love are the chemicals (most of which I can't pronounce) in the ingredients list of said granola bars.

Luckily, my awesome sister-in-law, Kate (author of Southern Dwellings blog), found a delicious recipe for "Chewy Granola Bars" on Casey Leigh's blog. Kate made a batch at home and brought them with her to the lake last month. For me, it was love at first bite, and needless to say, I had one for breakfast (and for a snack) every day we were there. 

Kate altered the recipe a bit, using mini chocolate chips and cranberries, as opposed to sunflower and pumpkin seeds. I made my first batch a little differently as well, so keep in mind that this recipe is flexible and you can substitute your favorite ingredients.

I gathered the following: natural peanut butter, organic honey, coconut oil, natural oats, dried blueberries, dried cranberries, almonds, peanuts/pecans, and dark chocolate chips.
No crazy chemicals in any of these ingredients, folks!

Let me break it down:

1. Melt 2/3 cup honey, 1/2 cup coconut oil, and 1 cup peanut butter in a medium saucepan on low heat.

2. Remove from heat and add 2 cups of oats and 2 cups of remaining ingredients (here is where you can substitute your favorite seeds/dried fruits). 
I saved the chocolate chips for last so they wouldn't melt in the warm mixture. Stir well.

3. Place mixture evenly into a 9 x 13 pan (if you want thicker bars, you can use a smaller pan). Optional: sprinkle chocolate chips on top.

4. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before eating. Cut bars to desired size. Keep leftovers refrigerated.

And there you have it.

Yu-um! Not only are these breakfast bars all-natural, they're delicious! They might even motivate me enough to get out of bed in time to enjoy them at home--maybe.


No comments:

Post a Comment