Tuesday, March 19, 2013

March 20

Yes, this year March 20 is the first official day of Spring. But it also marks the birthday of a very special person. 

24 years ago, I woke up to find both of my parents sitting in the living room, which was odd because normally my dad would have been at work and my mom would have been getting our breakfast ready before taking me to school. My second grade self wondered just what was going on. "It's time for Mom to have the baby," Dad explained. I wanted to go with them, but they said I needed to go to school. 

When I got in my classroom, I told my teacher & classmates all about how my mom was at the hospital and that I would have a new baby brother or sister when I got home. I was hoping for a sister. 

My aunt picked me up from school, and not only were there McDonald's cheeseburgers waiting for me at home, but so too was the news that I officially had a new baby sister. Needless to say, it was a pretty exciting day.

My parents decided to name her Jillian, but we called her Jill. "Now we have Jack & Jill," my mom said.


I don't remember going to see her in the hospital, but I do remember that once she was home with us, I would try to wake her up whenever she was napping because I wanted to play with her.


I remember loving to pick out matching outfits for her to wear, only to have to bribe her with candy to wear them because she would have rather worn her red baseball cleats and basketball shorts.


I remember when she cut a chunk out of her hair because she didn't want anyone to brush the knot out of it...


...and when she did a dance solo at my cousin's wedding to Will Smith's "Miami". It was epic.


I remember those bangs...


...and when she came to visit me in the dorms...


...and the year she graduated 8th grade, Micah graduated high school, and I graduated college...


...and helping her get ready for prom...


...and all our trips to the lake...


...and taking her out for her 21st birthday. She was "so full of liquid and so happy."


I remember how much fun we had as bridesmaids in Micah & Kate's wedding...


...and how we found the pickles...


...and when she graduated from our alma mater.


I remember many games spent cheering for opposite teams...


...and fighting over who got to change our niece's diaper...



...and I remember when Snooki needed some ketchup on Halloween.


I don't remember much before March 20, 1989. But I sure am grateful for all that has happened after it. And I look forward to all that will happen for "Jack & Jill" in the many years to come.

Happy birthday, Lil' Sis! Love you!



















No comments:

Post a Comment