Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Healthy Chocolate?

You may or may not have heard, but for the last 6 weeks I've been on a quest for a healthier me. And I'm happy to say that by following a modified Weight Watchers eating plan, I've been able to shed nearly 20 pounds! I'd also like to note that Zumba on the Wii has helped this effort as well.

Needless to say, I feel like a new woman--but I'm not done yet. I've been on the hunt for healthy recipes that also meet the needs of my palate (which really hasn't changed since I was five years old by the way). 

If you were anything like my brother, sister, and I, then you spent your childhood loving some chocolate milk. We should have bought stock in Nestle back in the day because I'm pretty sure we kept them in business with our dedication to Nesquick. Who didn't love that bunny? 

At any rate, the child in me would still love to drink chocolate milk everyday, but the (healthier) adult in me knows that I gotta rein it in a bit. So you can imagine my joy upon finding a recipe on Pinterest for natural "Nesquick". Via the "One Good Thing" blog, here's the homemade way to make chocolate milk & hot chocolate with the following natural ingredients:

2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup Hershey's Cocoa
1 pinch of salt


Yum-my, you guys! No more store-bought mixes for me! 

Just so you know, everything tastes better in my I heart Jim mug.

A while ago I stumbled upon this next recipe on the "Edible Perspective" blog via Pinterest. It sounded like a sweet way to get some protein so I was thinking breakfast or dessert.

1 cup Greek yogurt (I used plain--don't recommend it)
2-4 Tablespoons Hershey's Cocoa 
1 Tablespoon maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 Tablespoons dark chocolate chips


I have to admit that this wasn't as "sweet" as I'd hoped. If you don't like Greek yogurt, then this isn't for you. I ended up adding more maple syrup in an effort to sweeten it up but it didn't really help. Had it not been for the dark chocolate chips, I wouldn't have been able to eat it. Next time I try it, I'm going to use vanilla Greek yogurt and see what adding honey does for it.

Please share any recipe suggestions that you have! Happy healthy eating, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment